One of the most fascinating and fun things that happen over at The Lasting Supper
is the freedom people have to swear. And they use this freedom fully. Oh my! Sometimes there are whole threads devoted to beautiful and powerful swear words used in delicious ways.
I love it, encourage it and participate in these hilarious threads because swearing has spiritual benefits. Here are just some of them:
- It's an easy and harmless way to experiment with your newfound spiritual independence.
- A swear word perfectly timed can function like a Zen koan and deliver a sudden grounded awareness to your mind.
- It can get you in touch with your body, your flesh, your humanness, and give you a sense of empowerment.
- It can help you get in touch with raw emotions that have been suppressed under religiously scrupulous observation. It just feels good.
- Sometimes nothing says it quite so honestly as a good swear word properly placed.
- It can be used to make a shockingly clear statement on how you feel or what you think about something.
- It will set yourself apart from the pack of squeaky-cleans.
- Used properly and sparingly, it can communicate that you're serious about what you're talking about and you're not to be messed with.
- It can enhance sex. (WHO PUT THIS ONE HERE?????)
- It may signal the fact that you've learned that focusing on little things like swearing, smoking and drinking, etcetera, deflects attention away from serious issues such as abuse, greed and stupidity. Like the cartoon above, those guys can insult, abuse, frighten, control and shame him, but as soon as he swears he's the one with issues.
I invite you to come smoke, drink and swear with us