I have many friends, fans, and followers in Australia who have requested that I do a cartoon addressing the present crisis there.
There are Americans requesting the same thing.
This cartoon illustrates the religious element in these tragedies.
I know people who think this way. We can even read about it in the news.
Here's the line of reasoning (if you can call it that):
1. The Bible prophesies terrible things happening in the End Times, like war, fire, darkening of the sky and moon, smoke, poverty, hunger, drought, rape... it's all there!
2. These are signs that the end is near, that Jesus will return, and that he will deliver victory to the church and all true believers.
3. If it's prophesied, then it's going to happen. It can't be stopped!
4. Therefore, there's nothing we can do.
5. To try to prevent these from happening would be naive, counter-biblical, and even anti-biblical.
6. So, if these terrible things are supposed to happen and are caused by God, this means that if we help them to occur then we are actually fulfilling God's plan.
I kid you not! People actually believe this and participate in this ideology.
The most alarming and dangerous part is that many of our political leaders believe this and lead us into such apocalyptic crises because they are inspired by their God to do so.
They really do believe they are helping to usher in the End Times.