Shaping the Dreams of our Girls

"Shaping the Dreams of our Girls" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Shaping the Dreams of our Girls” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

OWN THIS PRINT OR THE ORIGINAL DRAWING

Let them dream.

Let them fulfill.

Actually, relinquish your power to let.

Their freedom is already theirs.

You only need honor it.

(Come join others who are free and are learning how to live it! I personally will welcome you. Give it a shot. Join us at The Lasting Supper!)

1. RollieB says:

Extremely sad, but too often true.

2. Jack Russell says:

Can I ask why you have made this gender specific David?

Also with 60% of college graduates now being women and employers often bending over themselves in STEM subjects to employ and promote women would you consider the possibility that boys / young men face disadvantages too?

I’m not sure this is a gender issue predominately, but that there can be unhelpful expectations placed whatever gender.

I’m open to hearing other views though.

3. I agree with what you wrote, but I’m primarily addressing the incredible pressure girls face to fit a certain shape of “woman” in order to be valued, and to be sex objects. Hence the mud flap girl.

4. Jack Russell says:

Obviously you are focussing on the pressure girls can face to be valued accourding to their sexual attractiveness toward men.

5. I have other times. It’s just that this issue is very relevant and in the news right now. Thanks! 😀

6. Jack Russell says:

I hear you about this being in the news now and see your point.

I’m sorry I don’t want to offend anyone but I don’t recall much if anything you have written about pressures boys face. Perhaps you can show me where I am wrong on this.

Thanks 🙂

7. Steve says:

Daddy, you can lie back now
    There’s a stake in your fat black heart
    And the villagers never liked you.
    They are dancing and stamping on you.
    They always knew it was you.
    Daddy, daddy, you bastard, I’m through.
    – Sylvia Plath

Jack: you wrote, “But I am asking, again why you are making this about gender when whatever gender there is pressure to be a certain way and asking if you would consider what pressures boys face?”

Do you believe there is pressure by fathers upon boys to become a (male) sex object? Not in my experience.

So, you have me curious.

9. Jack Russell says:

Hello Caryn,

Thank you for your question. I am curious as to your point about fathers. Do you think it’s men that are the ones putting pressure on boys and girls?

What I am getting at with boys is the pressure to be a certain way. I would offer that this can com from men, women or society in general. It could be in the for m of a “(male) sex object” but I am thinking more along the lines of if a boy or man speaks up about a difficulty they experience in an equal way, it being frequently ridiculed or regarded as a weakness and a need to “man up”. So not unlike the picture of the girl, it leading to a head being lowered and sadness but perhaps this being masked by bravado in response to social pressure. And it seems with the suicide figures, being greater among males, this being more likely to happen with boys and men.

I would also suggest that with mothers often being the primary care givers and women outnumbering men in early education that the pressure frequently can come from females.

I don’t want this to be a distraction from the topical point in the news and caring for women’s needs however and again, I apologise – I don’t want to cause any offense by asking about there being a gender balance in looking at an issue such as this.

The main point at this time is that it is about women and I suspect there will be women who have been upset by things going on in the news that might be a trigger about their own experiences. So perhaps we could keep it about that for now?