Join our Newsletter
If you like The NakedJournal, you'll enjoy my weekly newsletter about deconstruction, freedom, and life in general.
"A MANIFESTO FOR SPIRITUAL INDEPENDENCE"
I wrote this many years ago for my online community, The Lasting Supper.
There is no mention of the Divine in this manifesto. The reason for this is because of the theological diversity of not only myself but my readers. Some of us believe in a Divine Power, some of us don’t, some of us aren’t sure, and some of us are all three at the same time. Spirituality for me does not necessarily include a divine being or the supernatural, but the quality of our inner lives.
Besides, this manifesto is not a statement of faith, but a statement for owning, embracing and living our own spirituality with happiness as we see fit. How we see the Divine integrating into this or not is another issue.
So here it is:
MANIFESTO FOR SPIRITUAL INDEPENDENCE
1. I am free. I always have been. I always will be.
2. I have the right to ask questions as a way to become wise.
3. It is my right and responsibility to find my own spiritual path.
4. It is my duty to myself and others to remove the log from my own eye first.
5. I take care of myself before I care about labels or what others call me.
6. It is necessary for me to be true to myself before being true to a community.
7. I recognize my roots but I will not allow them to prevent me from changing.
8. I embrace my unique spirituality and will let my light shine for others.
9. I take charge of my life and will live it wisely, compassionately and joyfully.
10. I am spiritually independent!
Share it if you’d like to.