if the thief on the cross was a woman

"Make Me a Sandwich" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Make Me a Sandwich” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

buy this cartoon

Of course this didn’t happen.

Some might even say “I’d make a sandwich for Jesus any day!”

I suppose this cartoon is going after misogyny, sexism, Complementarianism, the patriarchy, most evangelicalism… heck… most religions… heck… most cultures. If not all!

Are you a woman who gets this? Join others at The Lasting Supper!

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

I laughed sooo hard at this one!

Loved it!

2. Gary says:

Must be a different Jesus.

3. Thanks Caryn. I love making people laugh. And yes, Gary, I agree.

4. Kristen says:

This is great! I don’t believe for a moment Jesus would have said this, but there are many out there who think that this is what’s waiting for women in heaven– eternal subordination to men.

5. Thanks Kristen. Glad you get it 🙂

6. Brigitte says:

Who believes such a thing, except the followers of the Koran?

7. If you read my post you can see that a lot of people, including a lot of Christians, believe women are here to serve men.

8. Adam Julians says:

I think most if not all Christians believe that women are here to serve men. It’s the way it should be.

Just as it is for men to serve women.

Had you going there with my first couple of sentences didn’t I 😉

9. kris799 says:

Too funny.

10. Flatcapsandmild says:

Complimentarianism?

11. Flatcapsandmild says:

No, I mean complimentarianism rather than complementarianism?!

12. oh my bad. corrected. thanks.

13. Brigitte says:

I always want to make my husband a full meal deal, but he makes himself sandwiches, whenever, and eats them over the sink.

14. Brigitte says:

Barbarian.

15. Brigitte says:

There are probably a lot of households where women would like a husband/ father/spouse to come and sit down for a healthy meal made at home. — There is a new show on Netflix about cooking. We are loosing the skills of multiple generations and cultures. It’s Michael Pollen documtary series called “cooked”.

Hi Brigitte. May I offer that you look ‘one inch deep’ and ask what ‘eating at the sink’ represents to your husband? And, what eating a ‘full meal deal’ represents to you?

I offer that it is the representation (or the underlying motive) that can be the basis for great conversations with your spouse.

For example, just today, my wife (Bonnie) mentioned that she needed more ritual in our relationship for meeting her driving need of ‘connectedness’.

So, we chatted. We will walk the dog together in the morning, then check the chickens together and the wild bird feeder, and then exercise together. We will make these into a stronger ritual, rather than the haphazard efforts we have currently.

This will meet her need for connectedness… and I will have much of the rest of the day for meeting my needs (underlying motives) for achievement, independence, and positive feedback for a ‘job well done’ (which I give to myself by self-talk).

I satisfy my underlying motives (for achievement, etc.) by chatting on line, encouraging people, working for my employer, and gardening – – all of which I do alone. Sometimes I play music or compose music on guitar… which I also do alone.

It is easy for me to forget Bonnie’s need for ‘connectedness’.

Just as it is easy for her to forget my needs for achievement, independence, and self-applause.

And thus, Bonnie and I search for a bit of ‘common ground’ …. just a bit… and make sure both of us are enjoying this wonderful crazy ride of a marriage.

Cheers! Caryn

17. Jon says:

If the their on the cross was a woman she would have been condemned for immodesty and commanded to cover up lest she make Jesus stumble.

18. Gary says:

I don’t think they were nearly as hung up over nudity as we are today.

19. Gary says:

Aww come on. I thought it was clever…grin.

20. Brigitte says:

Thanks, Caryn. I will think it over. My own theories have something to do with upbringing, former bachelorhood, the appreciation of sandwiches (which can be immense), but you have also put your finger on something, for sure.

21. Adam Julians says:

Caryn/Bridgitte,

I’m not married not have I ever been but I take what may parents had as being “best friends” a good way to go about things. My dad was into working away in the garage, mum was always busy in the house. Mum was into amateur dramatics, dad into skiing and sailing. They had things they did together as we all did as a family.

I remember one family tradition was a “committee meeting” over lunch on a Sunday where dad would chair and we would all get a say on what the family would do together in the afternoon with a vote taken. Sometimes, we’d go for a swim, sometimes visit a local castle or for a walk etc.

Mum is an introvert, dad an extrovert. Dad would want to talk things through. Mum would want to go off on her own for a while and figure things out then would come back and be fine.

As you probably can gather from my posts I’m more like my dad when it comes to processing things by talking about them. Perceptions of my approach has included “exhausting” or a “great contributor”. What I do can be like marmite at times to others – love it or hate it lol.

It seems, perhaps, if we can find some way of seeing past what appears to be incongruity and instead perceive one another primarily as a fellow human being holding to being born with dignity and equality then we might be in a good place?

So conservative/liberal, man/woman, complimentarian/egalitarian, catholic/protestant, shir/suni, huttu/tutsi, religious/secular, republican/democrat, conservative labour, the list goes on.

Can we find common ground in which to thrive mutually or does our differences have to mean separation /adversity? I guess it depends on what we choose to do, right?